Thursday, June 19, 2014

Dyeing with Mountain Bluet Värjääminen vuorikaunokilla


Puutarhassa kukki vuorikaunokkia (Centaurea montana) useita mättäitä, ja olen käyttänyt sitä värjäykseen  jonain vuosina ja saanut keltaista. Vuorikaunokki on samaa sukua ahdekaunokin kanssa, mikä on hyvä värikasvi, ja tämän mukaan myös vuorikaunokki sisältää luteoliinia ja apigeniiniä (selaa ylöspäin s 217). Tosin nyt saamani vuorikaunokin keltainen on erilaista kuin yleensä ahdekaunokista saatava keltainen eli eroja väriaineissa varmaan on tai sitten todennäköisesti en liottanut kasveja tarpeeksi pitkään niin että liemi olisi alkanut käydä ja väriaineita olisi muuttunut enemmän liukoiseen muotoon.
Vuorikaunokin kukkavarret on kuitenkin hyvä leikata ennen kuin se siementää (vaikka puutarhani ei olekaan niin siisti, mutta jos sitten joskus..) joten samalla ne voi käyttää värjäykseenkin.

IN ENGLISH
There are many clumps of Mountain Bluet (Centaurea montana) in the garden, and I have used it for dyeing yellow in some years.  It is related to Brown Knapweed (Centaurea jacea) which is a good dye plant, and according to this  (scroll up to page 217) also Mountain Bluet contains luteolin and apigenin flavonoids. The yellow I got from Mountain Bluet this year is different than the yellow I get from Brown Knapweed, so there are some differences in the dyestuffs, or the other explanation is that I didn't soak the plants long enough for the bath to start to ferment and dyes become more available.
It is good to cut the flower stems down before it sets seeds (although my garden is not so tidy, but perhaps one day it will be..) so why not use it for natural dyeing.



Tein pienemmän koevärjäyksen pari viikkoa sitten kun kukinta oli parhaimmillaan ja värjäsin isomman erän kukinnan loppuvaiheessa, enkä huomannut eroa saadussa värissä, vaikkakin väriliemi oli kukinnan alussa tulleista kasveista vihreämpi ja myöhemmin sitten ruskeamman keltainen. Silti alunapuretettuun lankaan väri tarttui samanlaisena vaaleana sitruunankeltaisena.

Käytin 1kg kukkavarsia/100g lankaa, ja varmaankin jos olisin riipinyt lehdet varsista puolet tuosta määrästä olisi riittänyt, koska paksut varret olivat painavia ja luulen väriaineiden olevan enemmän kuitenkin lehdissä.
Liotin 1-2 vrk lievästi emäksisessä vedessä, mihin olin lisännyt pari ruokalusikallista kidesoodaa, ja sitten haudutin pilkottuja kasveja kunne ne näyttivät tarpeeksi käytetyiltä, eli pari kolme tuntia.

IN ENGLISH
I dyed a small patch first couple of weeks ago when the flowers were young, and then a bigger patch this week when the flowers were starting to go over, and I didn't notice much difference in the color on white wool between the patches, although the bath from young plants looked more greenish yellow compared to the brownish yellow bath from plants which were almost finished flowering. Yet the color to white alum mordanted wool came out pale lemon yellow from both baths.

I used 1 kg of plants to 100grams of wool, but if I had stripped the leaves from the stems, half of that amount would have probably been enough, because the stems were so thick and heavy and I doubt that there were much dyestuff in the stems. I soaked the cut plants 1-2 days in warm water where I had added some washing soda to raise the pH a little, and then I simmered them until they looked done, about three hours.


Langat oli esipuretettu alunalla ja viinikivellä ja vuorikaunokista näin tullut väri on melko vaalea kylmän keltainen (mutta ei kuitenkaan beige), ja kun laitoin liemeen sinistä väritattarella värjättyä lankaa, sain ihan mukavaa turkoosia mitä halusinkin. Mukana oli myös pätkä purettamatonta lankaa ja siihen väriä ei tarttunut juuri lainkaan.
Ei vuorikaunokki ole yhtä hyvä värikasvi kuin ahdekaunokki tai piiskut, mutta ok kuitenkin.

IN ENGLISH
The color I got from Mountain Bluet this way was lemon yellow (but not beige), and when I dyed blue yarn (blue from japanese indigo) I got nice greenish turqoise which I wanted. I had also a small piece of unmordanted yarn in the bath and it came out very very pale, almost no color.
Mountain Bluet is not as good dye plant as Brown Knapweed or Goldenrods, but ok anyway.


7 comments:

  1. I have lots of that plant in my garden too. It's actually quite a weed since it wants to spread everywhere. We call it cornflower but it's definitely the same species. I never knew it had dye potential! Thanks for your description. I love the pretty turquoise from indigo over-dye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louisa, I didn't know the English name for this plant (only latin) and Google/Wikipedia gave many names for it in English, so I just picked the first one:)
    Many years ago I didn't think it was so bad to spread and I didn't cut the flowerheads.. so now it is everywhere, and I have to cut them so that they don't spread more. I like it when it flowers but enough is enough:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo kuinka ihana turkoosi!!
    Kivalta näyttää tuo viileä keltainenkin, oikein kaunis väri. Jotkut keltaiset voivat olla vähän tunkkaisia, tuo ei yhtään.
    Hyvä ja ajankohtainen muistutus muutenkin. Vuorikaunokit kai kukkivat herkästi uudestaan, jos ne leikkaa, eli siitä saa sitten triplahyödyn, jos ne leikkaa ja vielä värjääkin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hei Saila, juu, juuri tuo keltaisen heleys on vuorikaunokilla hyvä vaikka väri onkin vaalea, niin ei tunkkainen beigeen vivahtava. Yksinään se ei ole mikään kovin myyvä väri, mutta just yhdistettynä siniseen se on hyvä. Ja tosiaan olen oppinut kantapään kautta yrittämään muistaa leikata kukkineet kukat pois:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice color, we call the plant also kornblóm (cornflower) in Icelandic. I have this plant in my old garden I have get some of it and plant it in my new garden. Thank you for your blog, I enjoy reading it alot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Osk, and Neki.
    Teal, of course, like the bird:) I'm not good with English names of colors:)

    ReplyDelete