Friday, January 31, 2014

Follow-up to Chlorociboria experiment Jatkoa nastakkakokeiluun


Tammikuun alussa, täällä,  kokelin josko nastakkoiden rihmastojen värjäämistä puunpalasista saisi väriä ja aluksi liotin puunpalasia ammoniakissa, tästä värjäyksestä en saanut väriä lankohin. Olin silloin laittanut myös osan puun palasista likoon veteen, mihin oli lisätty desin verran Sinolia, eli alkoholia. Sinol oli halvinta alkoholia, mikä tuli mieleeni.
Täällä, Sandra Rude, on antanut tosi hyvän ohjeen, miten puuaineksesta saa irtoamaan väriaineita kun niitä liotetaan alkoholissa. Mikä tahansa alkoholi käy.
Vasemman puolimmaisessa purkkikuvassa puun palaset ovat lionneet 5vrk, eikä liemeen ollut liuennut vielä yhtään väriä. Olin jättänyt purkin likoon, enkä odottanut siitä mitään, mutta kahden viikon kuluttua liemi olikin muuttunut tumman ruskeaksi! Kuvassa oikeanpuolimmainen purkki. Kaadoin purkin sisällön kattilaan, ja lisäsin puhdasta vettä, keitin tunnin, minkä jälkeen jäähdytin liemen ja lisäsin 20g puretettua lankaa (puun paloja oli 80g).
Toisin kuin ammoniakkiliotuksen jälkeen tämä lanka värjääntyi vaalean ruskeaksi. Jälkeenpäin aloin miettiä tuliko väri itse siinä puussa olleista väriaineista eikä nastakkarihmastosta. En edes tiedä varmaksi mitä puuta se oli, ja silloin voi hyvinkin olla, että sinol-liotuksen jälkeen saatu väri tuli itse puuaineksesta. Pitäisi kokeilla samaa  puuaineksella, missä ei ole nastakkarihmastoa. En tiedä myöskään, mitä väriaineita alkoholi liuottaa puuaineksesta.
Myös mietin olisiko väristä tullut erilainen, jos en olisi keittänyt puunpalasia, vaan värjännyt suoraan liotuksen jälkeen. Sandra Rude varoittaa kuumentamasta lientä yli 60°C, ja minulla liemi kiehui. Myöskin vielä pidempi liotus olisi voinut irrottaa enemmän väriaineita. Ensi kerralla olen sitten viisaampi:)

LISÄYS: tuo puuaines oli koivua eli ehkä väri sitten tulikin nastakoiden rihmastosta, koska koivun puuaines näyttää silmämääräisesti hyvin vaalealta.. tai mistä sitä tietää vaikka siinäkin olisi jotain väriaineita.

IN ENGLISH
In the beginning of January, here,  I tried to get color from pieces of wood full of mycelium of fungus Chlorociboria, and after soaking the wood in ammonia, didn't get any color to yarns.
At that time I had also put some of the wood to soak in alcohol, I used rubbing alcohol which is cheapest here.
Here american Sandra Rude has written good instructions how to get color from different kinds of wood using alcohol to extract the dyes from wood. Any kind of alcohol is ok.
In the picture above in the left jar, the pieces of wood colored turqoise by the fungus Chlorociboria have been soaking in alcohol for five days, and there is no color in the liquid. I didn't expect much from this jar and had left it to soak for longer time, but after two weeks the liquid was dark brown! The jar on the right.
I poured the liquid and the wood pieces to kettle, added some fresh water and simmered for one hour. After the bath had cooled down, I added 20grams of mordanted yarn (there were 80grams of dry wood pieces). Contrary to the ammonia soak, the soaking in alcohol had produced color and my yarn turned light brown. Afterwards I started to think if the color had come from the wood itself, and not from the mycelium. To be sure I should try the same with pieces of wood where there is not this fungus. I don't know what the actual dyes are which the alcohol extracts from wood.
Also another thing is that I simmered the soaked liquid, and Sandra Rude warns not to raise the temperature over 140°F! And even a longer soak may have produced more color. I'm now wiser next time:)

EDIT: the wood was from birch, so perhaps the color came from the mycelium. Birch wood looks quite pale go give any color.. but who know, maybe there still are dyes in it.



5 comments:

  1. The colour looks much like that I obtained from alder bark. I was after pink if not the "promised" red, tried several procedures, only to obtain beige-light browns.
    Except for the very first time I tried alder bark and obtained beautiful peach pink - I still don't know how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ladka,
    yes the color looks similar to the one you get from alder bark, though I have gotten stronger color yet from the barks. And sometimes yellow, but never peach pink, that would be nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mielenkiintoista ja jälleen uusi näkökulma/ohje värjäystaitojen kartuttamiseen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried using this a few years ago and, by a happy accident, ended up with a beautiful and very fast deep green. I grated the wood and soaked it in water for several days. The bath didn't turn, but there was a teal haze right at the wood surface and a bit of an oily film on top. I added a couple of meters of alum and cream of tatar mordented wool and set the mixture in the sun for several days. When I checked, there was no change. I was about to throw it out when I got called away and forgot about it. The jar with the wool, dye, and water sat in the corner of my greenhouse all summer with a tight lid on it. Come September, I was cleaning up in preparation for fall and found the jar. To my delight, the wool had turn a rich, almost spruce green. I just came across a whole blue log in the woods, so I will be experimenting more this summer and will share my results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa, this is really interesting! I have more of the green/blue logs in the woods, I will have to try this also in the summer for a long period, and not boil it at all. Thank you very much for the information.

      Delete