Monday, July 25, 2011

Now in my garden Nyt puutarhassa

Värikasveja puutarhasta: yllä väritatarta (Persicaria tinctoria) ja alla vasemmalla viime vuotista morsinkoa, josta leikkasin jo kertaalleen lehdet, kohta olisi valmista toiseen keruuseen. Oikealla sinertävämpilehtiset ovat tämän vuotisia kiinalaisia morsinkoja.

Dyeplants from my garden: above japanese indigo and below on the left woad from last year, which I already harvested once and which now seems ready for second harvest. On the right there are chinese woad plants planted this summer, their leaves are more bluish.

Kasvatin viime vuonna yksivuotista  japanilaista väriheinää (Arthraxon hispidus), joka kukki ja oli näköjään siementänyt ja nyt sitä kasvaa morsinkopenkin reunassa polulla tuuhea pusikko.

Last year I grew annual japanese grass (Arthraxon hispidus) which flowered and had self seeded. It grows now in the path next to woad bed.

Väriheinän sekaan oli siementynyt myös rohtorasti eli häränkieli (Anchusa officinalis), jonka sukulainen Anchusa tinctoria olisi värikasvi, mutta nämä saavat kukkia pörriäisten iloksi missä milloinkin.

Among the japanese grass, there was a nice blue flower Anchusa officinalis, which is relative to a dyeplant Anchusa tinctoria. I only grow these because they are pretty and bees and other insects love them.
 Morsingon siemenet ovat kypsiä ja keräsin ne, yhdestä kasvista tuli niin paljon siemeniä, että ne riittävät varmasti parin vuoden tarpeisiin.

Woad seeds were ripe and I harvested them, From one plant I got enough seeds for at least couple of years.

Krappi kukkii

Madder is flowering

Värihernepensaissa (Genista tinctoria) alkavat kukat aueta, kohta niillä voisi värjätä.

Flowers in Dyer's Broom (Genista tinctoria) are starting to open, soon they are ready for dyeing.
 Ja daalioita kukkii.

And dahlias are flowering.
Pian myös ensimmäiset tarhapiiskut avaavat kukkansa ja ovat valmiita kerättäväksi värjäykseen. Luonnonvaraiset kultapiiskut kukkivatkin jo parhaillaan, muistakaa kerätä niitäkin.

Soon my first goldenrods are flowering and ready for harvest, these are nameless early garden cultivar.
Our native goldenrods are already in full bloom and waiting to be harvested.
 Pietaryrtti kukkii

Tansy is flowering.
Samoin ahdekaunokki

And so is knapweed
Ja vielä muutama kuva muista puutarhan kukista, harmaamalvikit ovat parhaimmillaan.

And couple of photos from other plants from my garden: Lavatera thuringiaca flowers now.

 Ja jo hiukan loppukesän värejä

And already colors of the end of the summer.

9 comments:

  1. not only pretty plants, but also full of dyeing possibilities.what more can you ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your flower garden in pictures - how much more you must enjoy it in reality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you use the knapweed for dyeing? What color do you get from it?
    I love all the information you share with us on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Neki and Ladka, I really like my flowers, even if there are too many weeds among them.. they just don't show in the pictures:)

    Kathy, knapweed contains luteolin like weld (among other dyestuffs), and it gives quite lightfast yellow, and I like it because it is so common here, easy to get. I have written about dyeing with it in August 2009, if you look at the archives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. So lovely! Almost makes me wish I had more room for *my* garden - except that I can barely keep up with it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiitos kuvista! Kyllä virkisti, aivan kuin olisin ollut vieressä!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leena, I so love your flower garden. It is like walking through a fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks:)
    I love my garden, too, even though it is too big, and at the same time every year I need more room for dye plants.. but how can I give up any of my flowers! I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lush looking garden and full of dye and soul potential! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete