Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Solar dyeing experiment 3 Aurinkovärjäyskokeiluja 3


Toinen hiukan epäonninen kokeilu aurinkovärjäyksessä: verihelttaseitikkien lakit. Laitoin kerroksittain alunapuretettua lankaa ja kuivia sieniä ja vettä päälle. Väri alkoi heti liueta, kuva yllä on otettu parin tunnin kuluttua alusta. Purkki oli heinäkuun helteissä 10 päivää kasvihuoneessa ja langat näyttivät kohtalaisilta, mutta kun avasin purkin ja huuhtelin langat, ne olivat jääneet paljon vaaleammiksi, mitä olisin saanut värjättyä samalla määrällä sieniä normaalilla menetelmällä. Kuivattuja sieniä oli siis 70g/100g lankaa.
Odotin, että langoista olisi tullut kirjavampia, parempia, mutta värierot olivat aika pieniä eri puolilla vyyhtiä, väri ei kuitenkaan ollut tasaistakaan. Nämä menevät uudelleen värjäykseen.
Kaiken lisäksi sienet ja langat haisivat todella todella hirveälle, aivan kaamealle! Langoista haju onneksi lähti tuulettamalla.
Keitin aurinkovärjäyksessä olleet sienet ja värjäsin niillä normaalisti, mutta väriä ei tullut juuri mitään eli väriaineet olivat hajonneet ja menneet hukkaan. Eli en suosittele ainakaan seitikkien kanssa aurinkovärjäystä, parempi tulos ja enemmän väriä irtoaa keittämällä ja värjäämällä normaalisti.

IN ENGLISH
Another unsuccesful solar dyeing experiment was with dried caps of mushroom Cortinarius semisanguineus.
I put mushrooms and mordanted yarn in layers in the glass jar and water over them all. The mushrooms started to release their color almost right away, the picture above is from two hours from the beginning. Jar was in the greenhouse in July for 10 days and the color looked promising, but when I rinsed the yarns, they were much paler shade than what I would have gotten with normal hot dyeing method with same amount of mushrooms, I had 70grams of dried caps/100g of yarn.
I also expected the color to be more variegated, better, but there wasn't enough variation, nor was it solid. These yarns in the picture below go to some other dyebath later.
On top of everything, when I opened the jar the smell was really bad, awful. I got the smell off the yarns by airing them for several days, but the whole garden stinked bad when I opened the jar.
I boiled the mushrooms again to extract more color from them, and dyed another batch of yarn, but got only a very pale shade, so the pigments had disappeared (disintegrated) somewhere during the solar dyeing.
So the conclusion is that I don't recommend solar dyeing with Cortinarius mushrooms, at least I get much better color with normal boiling and hot-dyeing with them.


6 comments:

  1. Voi mikä harmi. Ne toisen purkin langat olivat kuitenkin hienoja!
    Tein talvella huonelämpötilassa pikkuämpäreissä useampiviikkoisen kontaktivärjäyksen krapilla, kokenilllla, sipulilla, seitikeillä ja tiikerikaunosilmän kukilla. Tuli tosi kirjavia, tiplulankoja. Hankalaa sanoa että tuliko kaikista hyvin väriä, pohjaväriksi tuli roosa tummemmin pilkuin. Luulen että sienet ja kukat menivät siinäkin hukkaan.

    Sittemmin keitin kaunokki-jälkiliemessä kaikki kontaktiämpäreistä kerätyt kiinteät aineet, tuli aika kaunista oranssia :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niin, sienet hiukan menevät hukkaan kontaktivärjäyksessä. Silkkihuiviin kyllä aika kivasti tarttui tummana ja kivoina kuvioina, mutta villalle ei niin hyvin. Ja tosiaan tuo auringossa pitäminen oikein mädätti sienet, en muista ollenkaan, että silkkihuivikontaktivärjäyksessä olisi tullut mitään hajuja.
    Kokenilli ei myöskään anna kaikkeansa viileässä, mutta onneksi se kyllä toimii vielä jälkikätenkin värjätessä myöhemmin. Sinänsä ihmeellistä, koska kokenilliliemet ei säily hyvinä minusta pitkiä aikoja.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how disappointing for you Leena.
    It is sad that you are not getting good results with your solar dyeing -the birch was a surprise too. I use solar dyeing as an easy way to dye and also because the pots look good and something else for visitors to my garden to look at but if you are dyeing commercially probably it is not so good.
    However disappointing the results it is useful to know! Incidentally do mushrooms usually take a high temperature to extract colour?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, I agree that it is good to experiment and know what works in one's climate, besides it is fun most of the time:). And I have had good results with madder and rhubarb roots, and I have solar dyed some blue yarns, too and gotten nice green colors with rhubarb roots over blue. They went to the market and they sold almost immediately.
    Mushrooms need hot, so I should have know they are not so good solar dyeing, but I had to try. Birch leaves was a surprise, because I saw your beautuful yellows, but our nights were propably too cool in June and it also rained a lot then. Anyway, it is an easy way to dye, and I am sure that from now on I will have solar dyeing jars every summer. Too bad our summer is so short:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge with us. We learn so much from you. After seeing all your solar dying blogs I'm busy trying my own. So much fun and the jars are beautiful! Hopefully my wool fabric will turn out beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess dyes that need hot don't do so well in solar pots in our cooler climates. We are going through a cool rainy season now so I am not sure if my newer pots will work at all and I just hope we will get a period of hot dry weather soon!

    ReplyDelete